Last month, Intuit rolled out Spreadsheet Sync, which lets you sync Excel to your QuickBooks Online Advanced account. Now, you have a seamless sync and avoid manual errors. This also will allow you to add and edit data in bulk.
Data can be pulled into an Excel spreadsheet, edited and then posted back to QuickBooks Online Advanced. Additionally, Spreadsheet Sync’s list templates can be used to create new data or you have the option of designing custom reports and refreshing them.
The fact that this new tool can be used to create multi-company groups as well as a single company is one of my favorite features.
It is worth noting that only QuickBooks Online Advanced admin users can open and manage Spreadsheet Sync. It is only available with the QuickBooks Online Advanced subscription.
How to install Spreadsheet Sync
When using QuickBooks Online Advanced, there are several ways to access the Spreadsheet Sync feature, but I have listed the fastest way below:
From Settings, select Spreadsheet Sync in the Tools column
Next, allow the Spreadsheet Sync add-in:
1. In the pop-up window, select Let’s Go
2. In the next pop-up window, select Open Link (Note: This may take some time to load)
3. Once Spreadsheet Sync downloads, it will prompt Office 365 to open. Select Trust this add-in
4. Select Sign in
5. Enter your QuickBooks user ID and select Sign in
6. Enter your password and select Continue
Tips to get started with Spreadsheet Sync
1. Go to Settings and select Sync spreadsheets. (Office 365 edition of Excel is required to use Spreadsheet Sync)
2. To begin pulling company data into a spreadsheet:
a.If only one company has been assigned to you by your QuickBooks Online Advanced account admin, that company will appear in the Please select your company dropdown
- i.If more than one company has been assigned to you, select Company settings in the Spreadsheet Sync toolbar and choose Add new to begin using a company’s data
- ii. Note: Only a QuickBooks Online Advanced administrator can add companies to Spreadsheet Sync and assign user permissions
2. To create a spreadsheet report:
a. Select Build Reports from the toolbar
b. Select the Company or Group data you want to download, then Select data source to choose the report or data table template you want to use
3. To edit or add data to your QuickBooks Online Advanced account:
a. Select Manage Records in the toolbar
b. Select a list template under the Records to create or edit dropdown and the Company or Group data you want to edit or add to
This new tool is so helpful for us to begin offering advisory services to our clients. And the greatest thing about it is it is already included in our QBO Advanced subscription.
Liz Scott is a multi-business entrepreneur working to bring together technology and accountants through her business, Liz Scott Consulting. A member of Intuit Trainer/Writer Network, she authored and taught Master level courses, including Advisory Guides and Consulting Tools for Accountants. In addition to Liz Scott Consulting, she also owns Accounting Lifeline, a firm to serve small businesses with their financial needs. Liz is a co-host of the “Appy Hour,” which helps other accountants learn about the different tools and apps for small business needs. Holding a high passion for real estate investment, she owns properties throughout Oklahoma.
Like what you’re reading?
Subscribe to our FREE newsletter and we’ll deliver content like this directly to your inbox.
This post originally appeared on