Recording a customer payment
When a customer pays on an invoice, receive the payment in QuickBooks Online using the steps below.
Note: In QuickBooks Online, we record a payment only when the customer was given an invoice. If you didn’t invoice your customer for an amount they paid you, you should enter a sales receipt or a deposit instead of a payment.
- For a sales receipt: choose Plus Sign (+) > Sales Receipt
- For a deposit: choose Plus Sign (+) > Bank Deposit
Receive Payment on an Invoice:
- Choose Plus sign (+) > Receive Payment.
- Enter the name of the Customer.
- Enter the Amount, Pmt Method, and the Reference no. If recording a payment by ACH, NEFT or another direct method you can choose Add New from the drop-down, label the method ACH or another term of your liking and make a note in the reference number field.
- Make sure that the correct invoice is checked. You can uncheck the wrong invoice and check the correct one manually if necessary.
- You can use a filter for a date range on the Receive Payment page to limit the number of open invoices that are displayed.
- Choose to either Deposit To your checking/Cheque account directly or to Undeposited funds, which will put it in the Bank Deposit screen to batch together with others.
- Click Save.